Friday, February 17, 2017

Journal 4

PART 1:

Mary Oliver's A Poetry Handbook was a very engaging and easy to read book that provided many different techniques, terms, and even examples throughout the book to help my understanding of poetry. One in particular that stood out was the theme throughout the entire book which in my opinion was to stay honest and true to your word because poetry is supposed to be an atmosphere of emotional freedom. Oliver does a wonderful job by reminding the reader throughout the book. On page 106, Oliver says "Also it began through the process of seeing, and feeling, and hearing, and smelling, and touching, and then remembering - i mean remembering in words - what these perceptual experiences were like, while trying to describe the endless invisible fears and desires of our own inner lives." This quote supports the fact that Oliver wants poets to write what they feel and what they truly are almost scared to write about because in the end sometimes the writing that you're most scared to write about ends up being the most brilliant. 

Another thing that I took away from reading this book was how to properly use imagery and the wild array of possibilities there truly are. On page 105, Oliver talks about Universal Images and how we create imagery "Through our imagination and our intelligence, we recall, organize, conceptualize, and meditate." (pg 105, Oliver). And this concept rings true for me because for me personally when I visualize something I create a workshop in my head and I let an idea sit and then let it blossom until I can truly see - once I see it, I write it. Another technique that meshes with this imagery is the use of sound, something I've never even thought of consciously, and now when writing I try to have more of an ear for the poem. I think prior to reading this book I was almost deaf with my imagination when truly if you want a perfect piece you need to SEE and HEAR. This book has overall helped me open up a new section of creativity and helped me improve my poetry writing for the future.

PART 2:

A) Sharon Olds is a very fascinating author due to her wide variety in subject matter but then also because of her critiques over the years. Honestly, I'm impressed with her because of all of the awards she has won even when she put out some pretty edgy pieces. Something I noticed when reading her poetry is that it IS very dark just how the critics said and it shows through her nonchalant attitude when it comes to heavy material such as in "Space Heater". I loved how the packet went into detail and showed the interview with her because it gave me an idea of her as a writer and inspired me to write the way that she writes in the sense that she doesn't think she's some master of poetry or superior to anyone - she's just a spirit going through life just like anyone else.

B) The poem that stuck out most to me was "I Go Back To May 1937". This poem stuck out to me and I got physically excited reading it because I realized that it was the poem that Chris McCandless reads in Into The Wild in the movie. As I read it I realized it and then had one of the best moments of "Oh my gosh I've heard this before". I really enjoy this poem because it's so honest that it hurts, and I mean that because of lines such as "you are going to do things bad to your children" and that is an honest blow straight to her parents. Even if they weren't dead, she took so much risk writing this piece - but I'm happy she did because it probably gave so many people something to relate to, or someone to empathize with, and overall this poem most likely affected so many lives that Sharon Olds never even thought would affect.

1 comment:

  1. Adding sound in a poem was a foreign idea to me as well. It wasn't until reading a few where sound was incorporated in that it made sense. Also reading some of Robert Frosts poems where distinct voices and conversations are placed throughout,adding depth to the characters.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.